This salad—which features mixed ancient grains as the hero—is insanely popular back in Melbourne, Australia (where Grounded’s founders are from). It’s a gorgeous balance of sweet, savoury and tart, with plenty of texture to keep things interesting.
Freekah is traditionally used as the base here, but if you’re gluten free you can easily substitute quinoa, buckwheat or even brown rice.
1 bunch coriander, chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 cup freekah (or cracked wheat or quinoa)
1/2 cup Puy lentils
2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
2 tbsp baby capers
1/2 cup currants
1 pomegranate, deseeded, to serve
1 tub Grounded Marinated Hemp Seed GOAT cheese (reserve oil for the dressing)
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tbsp agave syrup
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Marinade from the GOAT cheese
Sea salt to taste
- Blanch freekah and lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked. Drain well and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, toasted nuts, seeds, pomegranate, capers and currants. Add the cooled freekah and lentils.
- To make the dressing, combine the ground cumin, honey, lemon juice and GOAT cheese marinade and stir well. Season to taste.
- Add dressing to the salad mixture and toss through.
- Top with Grounded Marinated Hemp Seed GOAT cheese.